full screen background image

Friday 20 September 2013

Tinted Metal Rivets

When the digital Rosie the Riveter image was released by Bombshell Stamps, this great embossing folder of Riveted Metal by Tim Holtz came to mind.  It goes perfectly with Rosie.   And what better material to emboss using that folder than metal.   Of course I had to distress it some with alcohol inks.  Here's how I did it.



Here's a picture of the supplies.  for the metal distressing.


I picked a sheet of purple metal to emboss.


I cut it to size and then ran the folder with the metal through my Sizzix.


Here's a shot of the embossed metal.


 To tint it, I used some Tim Hotz/Ranger alcohol inks.   I added a few drops of two different colors of alcohol inks onto my pad and applicator.


Then added some blending solution before applying the ink to the metal.


The blending solution took some of the purple tint off of this metal, but I was good with that.  It gave me the effect I was looking for.



You can clean up your teflon work mat with a bit of blending solution and a tissue.   I just squirt a bit of the blending solution on my mat and then wipe up. 


Oh and for grins, here's my storage container.  I made a couple of boxes and dividers out of packaging chipboard.  Works perfectly.


And the outside of the box.  Of course it has to have an alcohol ink finish to it if the box is going to hold alcohol inks.  Right?


I applied adhesive to it and then applied the metal to a cardstock layer.  This gives the thin metal sheet more stability as I distress with a sanding block. 


Rubbing off the top layer of ink from the metal using a sanding block. 



Here's the finished and sanded metal.  Love the texture and depth.


I added Rosie to the metal and voila.  
Rosie's colored with my Copics.   


2 comments:

  1. I love it! Awesome tutorial! The background looks perfect for Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx for the great tut. got some metal i think i can use

    ReplyDelete